Georgetown Citizens


Household hazardous waste (HHW) products should never be poured out on the ground, down the drain, or thrown out with regular household garbage. Improper disposal can cause injury from contact or contaminate groundwater and drinking water. The City of Georgetown offers a voucher program for the safe and proper disposal of Household Hazardous Waste materials. These materials cannot be from a commercial business nor a small personal home business. Only residential materials can be accepted through our voucher program.

The vouchers allow City of Georgetown residents who have Texas Disposal Systems solid waste service with active accounts to dispose of household hazards at the Williamson County Recycle Center at 495 CR 156, which is northeast of Georgetown on FM 971. These materials cannot be from a personal home business nor from a commercial account. 

  • Vouchers will cover 100 percent disposal costs for in-City customers and 50 percent of disposal costs for out-of-City Texas Disposal Systems solid waste customers.
  • One voucher per household may be requested every three months.
  • Vouchers can be requested only online at the City of Georgetown Website

Please call (512) 864-3240 before taking your HHW to inquire about any weather related closures. Heat, cold and storms can prevent the acceptance of HHW, so please call first to ensure they are accepting HHW that day. Thank you.

What is household hazardous waste?

Many common products that you use in your home and garden are considered household hazardous waste. Such items should not be placed in your residential trash collection cart or placed at the curb for pickup.

Household hazardous waste products often will be labeled with words such as caution, toxic, poison, corrosive, or danger. Examples include:

  • Aerosol spray cans
  • Antifreeze
  • Art and hobby chemicals
  • Automotive products
  • Fluorescent lights (tubes or CFL’s)
  • Household cleaners and disinfectants
  • Mercury (from thermometers, thermostats)
  • Motor oil or transmission fluid
  • Paints and stains, especially oil-based
  • Pesticides and poisons
  • Pool and spa chemicals
  • Thinners and solvents
  • Vehicle batteries (wet cell)

Neither tires or electronic waste are accepted at the WCRC under this program:

  • Tires may be brought to the City’s Collection Station at 250 W.L. Walden Dr. and fees will apply.
  • To safely dispose of electronic recyclables, Suddenlink at 111 N. College Street, working with Global Environmental Services, offers free year-round recycling of old electronics, from televisions, VCRs, computer parts and fax machines to microwave ovens.
  • The Goodwill Store in Georgetown also accepts e-recyclables and they can be reached at (512) 868-9547 to inquire about recycling televisions and computer components.

Prepare your materials before transporting them

When you bring household hazardous waste items for disposal, be sure to pack and transport them safely.

  • Keep products in original containers, when possible.
  • If a container no longer has its original label and you know the contents, label it yourself.
  • Don’t mix products together! Dangerous chemical reactions can occur.
  • Make sure products are sealed to prevent leaks and spills. If a container is leaking, place it inside another container.
  • Carefully pack containers in a sturdy cardboard box.
  • If you use a plastic bag, please only use clear bags so the contents are easily visible.
  • Transport the items in your vehicle away from all occupants and pets.
Hazardous waste drop-off site

The center is open to the general public on Thursday’s and Friday’s from 8am-5 pm, and on Saturday’s from 8am-12pm.  For additional information, please visit their website or call (512) 864-3240.

Please call (512) 864-3240 before taking your HHW to inquire about any weather related closures.Heat, cold and storms can prevent the acceptance of HHW, so please call first to ensure they are accepting HHW that day. Thank you.

CFL Bulbs: Proper Disposal

According to the National Electrical Manufacturers Association, the amount of mercury in a typical compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb is barely enough to cover the tip of a ballpoint pen. However, this tiny amount equals approximately 5 mg of mercury and cumulatively can cause environmental and human health damage. Therefore, CFL bulbs should not be thrown away with household trash.

To safely dispose of a CFL bulb at no cost, residents can bring them to:

 *Most of the information on this page is copied from the City of Georgetown Webpage
3 comments to “Georgetown Citizens”
  1. Pingback: Where to take old paint? - Williamson County Recycle Center

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: